Oracle’s VirtualBox + Windows 8 Consumer Preview + Visual Studio 11 Ultimate Beta = FAIL? (Updated with a fix!)

Hello all,

i’ve been trying to set up the title’s combo with no success so far. Everything works real smooth until trying to fire up Visual Studio’s installer. I get the gray “Visual Studio 11 Beta”-splash screen and then FAIL with: Continue reading “Oracle’s VirtualBox + Windows 8 Consumer Preview + Visual Studio 11 Ultimate Beta = FAIL? (Updated with a fix!)”

Advertisements

Unit testing Windows Phone 7 MvvmLight-viewmodels with 7.1 sdk rc, NUnit and Moq

After a few hours of banging my head againt the wall, i finally bended this combo to my will. Humble thanks to J. Wilcox, J. Cansdale, W. McClure. Even humbler thank you goes to rschiefer for tipping me towards the version of Moq that worked in this scenario!

Continue reading “Unit testing Windows Phone 7 MvvmLight-viewmodels with 7.1 sdk rc, NUnit and Moq”

Windows Phone 7.1 “Mango” – HIC SVNT DRACONES (Charting the Application Lifecycle)

I’ll be I might be I won’t have the time to be using this post to make notes about Mango lifecycle. Few hurdles so far, nothing too serious…

Here’s an flowchart (-ish) image with my initial understanding of the model. I’ll be I might I won’t have the time to be updating this with hints etc. All notes are in finnish for now, but i can translate them if someone is interested.

Lifecycle, second attempt

Continue reading “Windows Phone 7.1 “Mango” – HIC SVNT DRACONES (Charting the Application Lifecycle)”

Windows Phone 7 – one fix for “Xap packaging failed. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.”

I faced that error while building a WP7 app after doing some reorganization of files within the solution.

VS2010 didn’t give any pointers, so i turned to Google and found this post in Jayway Team’s blog. My problem was not exactly the same, but that post pointed me to the right direction. Thank you to Jayway Team!

I had accidentally moved the default “ApplicationIcon.png” and “BackGround.png” from the root of the solution to a resources folder. After a bit of digging around the solution, i found the references to those images in the WMAppManifest.xml-file located within properties folder.

Issue went away by altering the paths. Really simple, but why-oh-why VS couldn’t give me any useful information right at the beginning…